Friday, August 26, 2016

Has Interpol M’sia requested for Lee Chee Kiang’s extradition, Baru asks

Baru Bian
Baru Bian
KUCHING: State PKR chairman Baru Bian wants to know whether Interpol Malaysia has requested for the extradition of Lee Chee Kiang (also known as Dato Stephen Lee), who is wanted by the Malaysian police for the murder of former PKR Miri branch secretary Bill Kayong.

Baru, who is Ba Kelalan assemblyman, also asked whether the Malaysian government had made a request for Lee’s extradition, especially now that the people had been informed that the Australian police were aware of his whereabouts.

“The information we have received is that the suspect is not in the Interpol wanted list, and we would like the police and the Attorney General’s Office to update us on the status of the case.

“Bill Kayong’s family and friends are still waiting for the arrest of the alleged mastermind behind the killing of Bill and they should be assured that all the necessary is being done to bring the suspect back to Malaysia, notwithstanding the provisions of the Australian Extradition Act 1988,” he said in a press statement yesterday.

Baru was responding to news report yesterday in which the Australian High Commissioner Rod Smith was reported to have said that the Australian authorities were aware of the whereabouts of Lee.

However, Smith said there was not much that he could say about the case because it is subject to the legal processes in Australia.

Despite the disclosure by Smith, state Police Commissioner Datuk Mazlan Mansor said the state police had not received any official notice from either the Interpol or the Australian authorities regarding the location of Lee.

Mazlan added that the process of arresting and extraditing Lee was currently out of the hands of the police here due to matters of jurisdiction and legality.

He also said the police had not frozen Lee’s assets as of now, although the matter was considered during the course of the investigation.

Lee, who is one of the two remaining suspects wanted by the police, fled to Singapore from Miri on June 23, two days after Bill’s murder on June 21.

On July 3, Lee flew to Melbourne, Australia from Singapore but his location was unknown.

On Aug 18, suspect Chin Wui Chung gave himself up in the company of his lawyer at the Krokop police station, leaving only Lee and Kong Sien Ming still at large.

~ Borneo Post

No comments: