Saturday, November 21, 2015

Top cop confirms leaked memo on suicide bombers in KL, Sabah, says report

Published: 19 November 2015 6:23 PM
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar has confirmed the authenticity of an internal police circular detailing the presence of suicide bombers in Malaysia. – The Malaysian Insider filepic, November 19, 2015.

Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar has confirmed the authenticity of an internal police circular detailing the presence of suicide bombers in Malaysia. – The Malaysian Insider filepic, November 19, 2015.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar has confirmed the authenticity of a leaked internal police memo on the presence of suicide bombers in Sabah and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysiakini reported today.
He told the news portal that police were monitoring all potential threats, and action was being taken to neutralise or thwart suicide bombers.
"We will not allow such things to happen," he was quoted as saying.
Khalid also expressed regret that the sensitive information had been leaked to the public.
According to Malaysiakini, the November 16 circular was from the Sabah police headquarters, and it had details of a November 15 meeting between Abu Sayyaf, Isis and the Moro National Liberation Front.
The circular reportedly said several resolutions were made during the meeting in Sulu, including the recruitment of new members and deploying Abu Sayyaf and Isis elements to Sabah and Kuala Lumpur.
It said eight Abu Sayyaf and Isis suicide bombers were in Sabah, while another 10 were in Kuala Lumpur.
"These suicide bombers underwent military training in Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq, as well as prepared to receive orders from their leaders to launch attacks/bombings," the circular reportedly stated.
The circular also called for increased police patrols and intelligence information, and urged all personnel to be prepared and vigilant.
On Monday, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said he and several other Malaysian leaders were on the Isis hit list.
He did not elaborate further but said the threat would not deter Putrajaya in its fight against terrorism in the country and region.
Meanwhile, US President Barack Obama is expected to fly into Malaysia this weekend to take part in the 3rd Asean-US Summit as well as the 10th East Asia Summit.
Isis had claimed responsibility for six coordinated attacks in Paris, which had been called the worst in France history.
Restaurants, a concert hall and a stadium had been targeted where scenes of shootings, suicide bombings and hostage situations took place. – November 19, 2015.
- See more at: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/top-cop-confirms-leaked-memo-of-suicide-bombers-in-kl-sabah-says-report#sthash.g2IHs7UA.dpuf

No comments: