Thursday, October 15, 2015

Bersih slams EC for 'playing dirty' in S'wak redelineation




Bersih today criticised the Election Commission for "playing dirty" by submitting its report on Sarawak redelineation to the Prime Minister's Department even before the Federal Court could rule on its validity.
The Federal Court had dismissed the application for leave to appeal this morning, saying the matter was now academic, as it had already been submitted to the government.
Bersih noted that the EC had submitted the document as soon as the Court of Appeal overturned the lower court’s decision, ruling in the commission’s favour.
The Court of Appeal overturned the Kuching High Court decision which ruled the EC's redelineation exercise in Sarawak was invalid as it did not comply with the constitutional requirements.
"EC's hastiness - in not even allowing time for the appeal to be filed at the Federal Court - had thwarted the legal process; it's in contempt of the judicial process as the appeal was overtaken by political interest," it said.
Bersih warned the Federal Court's decision today meant that the EC has a free hand in the redelineation exercise at the expense of voters' rights to scrutinise the process and and the objection process.
Bersih accused EC of trying to bulldoze its redelineation in time for the next Parliament sitting beginning next week.
"It is also a signal that the Sarawak state election will be held soon in a bid to legitimise Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak's administration which is being plagued by one problem after another, including the scandal of RM2.6 billion in his personal bank accounts and 1MDB," it said.
Calling it a sly move, Bersih vowed that it will continue its struggle to ensure electoral integrity.
The appeal which was dismissed today was filed by Batu Lintang state assemblyperson See Chee How.
Read more: https://www.malaysiakini.com/news/315894#ixzz3odzwIUUz

No comments: