The police's offer to bring along PKR vice president N Surendran to a shootout with criminals is "irresponsible and unacceptable", says the party's deputy president Azmin Ali.

He said the inspector-general of police Khalid Abu Bakar should be addressing Malaysians' concerns over Home Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi's statements last week instead of issuing challenges.

"His (Zahid's) statements are tantamount to an admission that suspects were being deliberately shot dead by police," he said in a statement today.

NONEAzmin (left) was responding to Khalid'stweets last night, offering the vocal critic of the police's alleged excessive use of force to join it in confronting armed criminal suspects.

He added that the fact that police put themselves in the line of fire over the course of their duties is not in dispute and deeply appreciated.
"What we do dispute is any use of excessive force by police and the illegal, high-handed and criminal 'shoot first' policy.

Storm - a Zahid by-product

"The effective and professional way to address these issues is by establishing a body like the Independent Police Complaints and Misconduct Commission (IPCMC) to ensure that the police follow prescribed standard operating procedures and that errant personnel are appropriately dealt with," he said.

Khalid's offer to experience a shootout, which he called a "skin feeling" had came in the wake of Zahid's controversial "shoot first" speech in Malacca last Saturday.

The minister has since denied calling for extra-judicial killings while Khalid had dismissed allegations that the police are trigger-happy.

NONEWhen contacted, Khalid (right) had told Malaysiakinithat he is serious about the offer, but contingent on Surendran agreeing to sign an indemnity agreement.

Meanwhile, Azmin said it is "very disturbing" that the police are asking to be absolved of responsibility in case of any "mishaps" during Surendran's trip.

"Is the IGP asking Surendran to sign his own death warrant?" he asked.

~ Malaysiakini