Thursday, July 11, 2013

‘Sulus will return better armed’


FMT Staff

July 11, 2013
ESSCOM deputy commissioner Ahmad Nadzer believes that the numerous water villagers along the ESSCOM stretch are breeding growns for 'arriving' terrorists.
LAHAD DATU: If the Sulus return they will be eliminated at sea, even before they breach the security net in eastern Sabah, assured Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCOM) Director of Intelligence, deputy commissioner Ahmad Nadzer Nordin.
Ahmad Nadzer, who confessed that the February intrusion at Kampung Tanduo here was a result of a ‘slip-up’, believes the Sulus will return and this time it will be with vengeance on their mind.
“We believe they will return. We expect them to come better armed, but we will be ready and waiting for them and they will not get to land at our shores,” he said.
He said they expected the terrorists to sneak into the area using other routes and take refuge among the water villages along the 1,784 km ESSCOM coastline.
He said although the long coastline covering 10 districts from Kudat to Tawau were “well secured” there were still “pockets” which did not fall within the range of the eight radars
He said once these terrorists slipped pass the security net they took refuge in the many water villages which litter the ESSCOM coastline.
“These villages must be demolished and residents resettled elsewhere.
“All this while our (police) intelligence indicated water villages were used as hide out for criminals and smugglers, they hide their fire arms, contraband include drugs there.
“I strongly believe it is high time for us to eradicate such threats once and for all,” he said.
Ahmad said ESSCOM has been exploring and adopting all possible measures to improve its security network and its intelligence collecting process.
He said cooperation with the Philippines and Indonesia security forces had also strengthened even as ESSCOM fostered closer ties with residents within the range.
According to Borneoinsider.com, ESSCOM was currently in the midst of establishing its own SMS system to allow the public to provide information on the presence of any subversive elements or threats.
It reported that Ahmad Nazer had also assured the public that all information provided will be seriously looked into by ESSCOM so as not to allow for a repeat of the Lahad Datu incident.
Ahmad Nazer had earlier told a dialogue organized by the Lahad Datu Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LDCCCI) here that the Special Branch had in fact received information about the incursions as early as November and December last year.
“We had information in November and December last year hinting of the Royal Sulu Force’s intention (to invade Sabah).
“But, since both sides had been living peacefully over decades, this information was not treated seriously, and we paid the price for it eventually. It was a bitter experience,” he said.
A wary Ahmad Nazer has offered members of the public ‘direct access’ to him, urging them to either call him or email him atnadzer@rmp.gov.my and smartstar2003@yahoo.co.uk should they stumble upon suspicious groups in army fatigues or sight boats with large numbers of people in the area.

- See more at: http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2013/07/11/sulus-will-return-better-armed/#sthash.tamv9kXY.dpuf


No comments: