PKR de facto leader Anwar Ibrahim is furious at the rate the courts are dismissing cases of election petitions filed by Pakatan Rakyat candidates on electoral fraud in the 13th general election.

"Our lawyers will make an announcement about it in KL. We are discussing our next course of action," Anwar told journalists in Penang last night.
He said his lawyers would be making a strong stand tomorrow on recent developments pertaining to the dismissal of election petitions, where the candidates were also ordered to pay costs to their opponents.

"It's ridiculous! It's not right, the way the judges dismiss the cases on such technicalities without allowing the cases to go to trial," he said, when met at a buka puasa event in Seberang Jaya.

"Even if this happens to BN, if their cases are thrown out due to such technicalities, we will not accept it," he added.
Blatantly evident
Anwar said Pakatan was not giving up the fight against electoral fraud, which he insisted had been blatantly evident in the May 5 general election.

He said this was despite the loose federal opposition coalition of DAP, PAS and PKR collectively garnering 52 percent of the popular vote against BN's 47 percent.

The increase in popular support for Pakatan led Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak to describe the trend as a "Chinese tsunami", a claim vehemently rejected by his opponents.

dap special meeting 110313 lim guan eng"We have produced the evidence to back our claims, we were not making them up," said Anwar, who is Permatang Pauh MP.

"For example, we have names to prove that foreigners were voting, they were not just Bangladeshis but of other nationals as well." 

Accompanying Anwar during the event was Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng (left) and state executive councillor and Seberang Jaya assemblyperson Dr Afif Bahardin.

On Jul 23, two PKR candidates from Penang - Abdul Halim Hussain (for Teluk Bahang state seat) and Muhammad Baktiar Wan Chik (for Balik Pulau parliamentary seat) had their petitions dismissedby the Election Court in Penang.

The duo, who lost to BN candidates in GE13, were asked to pay costs - Abdul Halim RM10,000 and Muhammad Baktiar RM30,000 each - to their opponents, the returning officers and the Election Commission.

Justice Hadariah Syed Ismail issued the order to the duo for failing to comply with provisions under the Election Petition Rules 1954.

NONELast week,forTitiwangsa, PAS candidate Ahmad Zamri Asa'ad Khuzaimi (right) was ordered to pay RM40,000 to the EC and RM30,000 to his opponent when his case was dismissed in Kuala Lumpur.

However, PKR Batu MP Tian Chua's opponent, BN candidate Dr Dominic Lau, who lost his petition, was ordered to pay RM50,000 to Tian Chua, whose lawyer insisted on it during the proceedings.

Despite Pakatan filing petitions against 40 seats, and BN 21, EC chairperson Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusof has said he will not resign over allegations of electoral fraud, and neither would his colleagues.

~ Malaysiakini